Sunday, July 27, 2014

Wreaths in July

I saw this adorable book page wreath tutorial on Pinterest a couple months ago and knew I would make it someday.  A while back I went temporarily insane and painted our bathroom a horrible shade of lime green.  I liked it for two days and then realized it was an awful color.  Finally, I got around to some home improvements and had leftover white paint from the stripe project in our bedroom.



Ok, prepare yourself for the green monster. Also, don't judge me for the color choice.

                             


Marching forward to the painting!  I used HGTV Home Interior Paint in ultra white.  I bought it at Sherwin Williams during one of their big sales, so the price was reasonable and it is a low VOC paint. 

 TIP: You can always by base white during a sale and have it tinted another day at no extra cost.
Coat #1


 Coat #2

After all this paint I needed some decorations!  I scored a wreath for $1 and a book for 50 cents at Restore.  

Project: Book Page Wreath
Cost: Under $5
Time: One to Two Days

Supplies
Wreath
Glue Gun 
Book
Paint (Black, Brown, Gold, whatever is on hand)
Small cut of ribbon and pins for hanging




Ironically, I picked The Seat of Power for a wreath that would end up in the bathroom.  I am officially adding this to the list of names for a toilet right along side the porcelain throne.  My apologies to the author as I did not read the book before tearing out all the pages.  

First came the prep, which involved stripping the wreath of all its decorations.  Then, I painted the edges of the book with gold paint and a little bit of black marker.  After the paint dries, rip out the pages.





You can apply the pages in three basic formations.  
1. Roll into a tube
2. Accordian style
3. Fold sides inward to meet in the middle, the fold over again so the edges meet together.

Once you have found your shape, apply glue to the inner folds and well as the desired side for application.  Start at the back of the wreath and go all the way around.  Once you have made a circle, flip the wreath over to begin on the front.


Repeat the same step, but for the next circle you will fold a small tab.


The third row will be in front of the second moving towards the inside of the wreath.  If your wreath is small, this row may be your inner most row and you are finished.  Mine was larger than the original tutorial, so I had four rows to complete.



The final row should meet your original row at the back of the wreath.





Much improved from the lime green!  Have you tried making your own wreaths?  Send me your links!




No comments:

Post a Comment